Friday, February 13, 2015

The Fashion Talk


I was approached by Haseena Omar from the Bella Donna Finishing Classes to give a talk about fashion to a group of young girls. The talk took place on Wednesday the 11th of Febuary and I really had such fun doing it. I gave a talk to the grade 10 girls from St Teresa's about my fashion journey.

I spoke briefly about my history, winning the Parktown High School for Girls Fashion show in 2012 which fueled my ambition to begin studying for a career in fashion at LISOF. I also gave them some insight into my blog and why I love blogging. “I love going to fashion industry events, meeting new people and asking celebrities if I can take selfies with them,” I giggled and told them about how I was so afraid to take a selfie with Randall from SA Idols at SA Fashion Week.


I was so impressed by these girls and their knowledge of the fashion world as I spoke about trends and asked them questions about styling. We did a mini styling work shop where I brought a basic white tee and asked them to help me style it. Some came up with trendy ways to put the look together with dark blue or ripped jeans and others thought up ways to make it look more dressy, with high waisted maroon jeans or a pencil skirt with heels. These were the ways I chose to demo the white tee for them:

Every day:
Blue boyfriend jeans and trendy sneakers with the white tee.

Formal:

A black blazer, heels and a tan formal long pants, with the white tee.
Girly:

Or for a girly approach, a black knee length a-line skirt paired with tan heels, with the white tee.


We also did a make-up workshop where I taught them how to do “the perfect red lip”:



1) Use concealer on your lips for long lasting lipstick
2) Outline the lips with a lip pencil for neat symmetry
3)I blended Mac 'Ruby Woo' and Revlon 'Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain' to get the perfect shade of red for her skin tone
4)I finished off with a copper lip gloss from the brand Iman 

Overall I enjoyed talking to these girls so much that instead of my intention to inspire them, they inspired me.

At the end of the class I asked if anyone had any questions and one of the girls asked me insightfully “Where do I see myself in ten years?

I was a bit overwhelmed and impressed, not expecting such a mature question from a learner of just grade 10, but I answered and told the class that I would like to be either a buyer for a major fashion house and travel or go into the magazine industry, I would also like to start my own brand.

I'm quite excited to get to where I want to be and in doing so see what the future holds.

My look:
 Hat: Gift
Skirt: CPS CHAPS Thailand
Shoes: CPS CHAPS Thailand 
Top: Hand-me-down 

No comments:

Post a Comment