Monday, February 9, 2015

The bag lady:


What is it about bags?
 
When girls are little all they ever want to do is walk around with a little handbag, whether it’s their mums hand-me-down or a dolls bag, nothing will replace the feeling of pride they get from holding onto it. Although it doesn’t stop there, as girls mature into teens and then into women their desire for a handbag quadruples, I know that mine has.
Why? It is no longer a matter of functionality but an accessory piece. Yes, we all have bags for school, campus or work but the look of the bag plays just as big a part in our lives as the necessity of it. The humble bag which came about since the 1900s was initially meant for men but developed into an accessory piece for ladies thereafter. Although, the man bag has now resurfaced as a major fashion trend, so both sexes seem to be indulging in the trend.

Some fun facts about bags:

“The word “handbag” was first used in the early 1900’s to describe men’s briefcases.

Hermes introduced the first handbag with a zipper in 1923.

Gucci began using cane handles in the 1940’s, during WWII, because of the leather shortage.

Based on a survey in 2007, men are actually more likely to choose a handbag based on its brand than women are.

In 2010 Guinness awarded Mouawad for creating the most valuable handbag in the world the Mouawad 1001 Nights Diamond Purse ($3.8M).

It is said that the average woman owns 6 handbags. (Yay or Nay)

The average women’s handbags weigh 5.2 pounds. (What do we carry?)

22% of women said if they could only splurge on one designed item, it would be a handbag. Only 9% said they would choose shoes.”

I own over thirty handbags and I'm always looking for new ones to add to my collection. Here are some of my favourites:
 

“Tres Chic”

The definition of this famous phrase emulates the bag perfectly. “Tres Chic” meaning very fashionable is exactly what this clutch is to me. I saw this bag in Cotton On and added it to my must have list immediately.

“My handbag”

One of my favourite trends of the moment is the Moustache trend. My little nieces, knowing this about me, spotted this bag whilst on their holiday in George at a market. I loved it instantly!

”The awesome bag’’
 

This past December I was looking around for the perfect beach bag when I came across this bag in Factorie. The typography trend on apparel and accessories is huge currently and I find myself enjoying the quirkiness of it too. Cute and quirky, this is my "go to" beach bag.

“The bicycle bag””

The moments when I find some of my favourite accessories and clothing are the moments when I’m not actually looking for them. I walked into Cotton On two weeks ago and spotted this bag. I use it for campus but also on the weekends because its so versatile and vintage at the same time!

‘’The Thai bags”
 
 

If you have ever visited Thailand before, you would know the shopping is amazing. These were some of my favourite Thai buys. If you are looking for bags like these in Johannesburg with a similar aesthetic visit Rozanne and Pushkin, Rosebank.
 
My look today: Mesh top- Edgars, Pants(yes its a pants)- CPS CHAPS Thailand, Shoes- Mr. Price.
"I love...'' bags "...I'm superficial, whatever." ;) 
 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment