Monday, September 28, 2015

My beginners guide to blogging:

My husband and I were having a discussion the other day about blogging in general and he said to me "blogging is free and anyone can do it." A lot of people approach me and ask me for tips about blogging or how to start their own blog, especially this year since my blog has started picking up.
 
 
The first thing you should know about blogging when you start is exactly what my hubby said, anyone can do it. There are pro's to this as it will be incredibly easy for you to start your own blog if you are passionate enough about it. What you must keep in mind, however, is the fact that it has to be unique. If anyone can do it, what is going to set you apart from the rest and what's going to keep your reader interested to make your blog a success?

 
There are so many fashion bloggers out there, famous ones like Kristina Bazaan, Negin Mirsalehi and Margaret Zhang, they are among my favourites and I aspire to reach that level one day. I am by no means an expert and so I can't be at the top of the list of people to give you blogging advice, but I can give you some of the tips that I have personally learned along the way.
 
1) You have to keep you readers interested,
I try to do so by blogging once a week.
 

2) Its important to scatter your posts.
Blog them over a space of time instead of blogging five times in one week and not having enough content for the following weeks.
 
3) There is no thumb sucking with blogging,
you need to get your content prepped and ready at least two to four weeks be the actual post is scheduled.
 
4) BlogSpot and WordPress are the immediate go to websites for you to sign up on
if you are a first time blogger. Its easy to use: Youtube or google will be your teachers and best of all its free.
 
5) Get in touch with specific media or PR companies.
They will invite you to events that relates to what you're blogging about. It will be fun for you to attend and something new and exciting for your bloggers to read about.
 
6) Social media, every platform is your marketing tool,
it's imperative to make use of it to get your content out. My best platform at the moment is...Instagram.
 
7) I hate blogs that are too text heavy,
 try to balance it between the pictures and text.
 
8) People want to read about things that interest them,
 they don't want to read about YOU only.
 
9) Post only what you think is worthy,
 high quality content will be more appealing to people for them to take you seriously i.e. good quality images and informative content.
 
10) Have fun,
don't make blogging a chore, make it your outlet to connect with people.
 
When it comes to shoots, these are my top tips:
 
1) Make sure you have a good photographer or if not a great camera with a timer and camera stand.
2) Your images should tell a story (the background is extremely important!)
3) If you have good images your blog post is 50% done.
4) Keep it exciting
5) Find a way to differ from the rest. How? That's up to you.

Let me take you through the process of my latest shoot:
 
Location: 16 Louis Street, Orchards
 
Reason: I fell in love with the Graffiti after I saw it when I featured on Lucky Radio a few weeks back, the graffiti is part of the design of the 24 carrots events company situated next to Lucky Radio.
 
Photographer: Long time friend, Layla Shaik
 
Outfit and my unique take: I love wearing my clothes in different ways, in fact I try not to wear the same outfit combination in the same year. I rewore my black and white jumpsuit but only as a pants, paired with a tee from the newest MRP collaboration with Tamara Dyson Cherie. My boots and bag are from Cotton On.
 
Theme: Monochrome
 
Content: From the heart

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Maybe in a few more years I will do another post about blog tips that will be more advanced but these have got me far this year and if you want to start a blog yourself, I recommend you start with these tried and tested tips.

1 comment:

  1. I think workshop about blogging is a wonderful step for the purpose of enhancing the value of blogging. Blogspot sites always shine. Thanks for the valuable knowledge.

    ReplyDelete