Thursday, October 29, 2015

Urban Zulu x RMfashionary

Far from the usual, this is how I would describe a brand that I have always wanted to work with, Urban Zulu. They have previously showcased at SA Fashion Week and to everyones surprise they decided to do a show at the last moment for this season. About two weeks before Fashion Week started I got an exciting email saying that Urban Zulu would be a last minute addition to the SAFW schedule. 

Urban Zulu is a unique brand that started from humble beginnings at the Durban Flea Market. Now they are taking runways by storm and opening stores around the country. 

Details of the outfit I wore to the show on the 22nd of October.

Bag by Nomada

Henna by @taz_too (Check her out on Instagram)

I had the opportunity to go into the Urban Zulu store and choose any garment I wanted to wear for the show. There was no electricity in the Rosebank Zone when I got there but even in the dark I managed to find the perfect outfit with the help of Elisa, the sales assistant. She also suggested that I go to the craft market nearby the mall of Rosebank to get one metre of any fabric of my choosing so that she could make a head wrap for me, to compliment the outfit.




I was thrilled at how beautiful the head-wrap looked that I want to wear it all the time now! 




Urban Zulu showed off their latest collection at this seasons Fashion Week and stayed true to what they pride themselves on, ''Clothes that remain functional and contemporary in a modern society, yet still reflect the unique nuances of African Identity" (just like the dungaree I wore). The thing I love most about the brand is that the bold african print is the focal point on each garment but is not always placed on the entire garment, instead just a part of each garment has the colourful print on it. I also am a huge fan of the fact that all the designs for the garments are made and manufactured locally, yey! Click here for more about Urban Zulu or to shop the brand online.

Myself and Papy, the designer of Urban Zulu.


No comments:

Post a Comment