Sunday, January 25, 2015

Notes on Shoes:

Shoes! Shoes! Shoes!
 I was browsing through my twitter feed the other day and stumbled across an interesting article by The Huffington Post, “11 Facts About Shoes That Will Knock Your Socks Off.” Out of the 11 facts mentioned, one jumped out at me. Number 6: “There’s more to your shoe addiction than just trying to keep up with trends.”

I knew it! It had to be something that could be diagnosed and thankfully I’m not the only one with the diagnosis. The editor of “Footnotes on Shoes,” Suzanne Ferris describes that a woman’s addiction to shoes actually triggers an area in the brains prefrontal cortex that is called the collecting spot. She says that shoes are a collector’s item to women whether they perceive it to be or not.

How to tell if you’re a ‘shoe addict’? (Which is also synonymously known as a ‘shoe collector’)

1)      You have more than ten pairs of shoes in your closet

2)      You’re running out of space because your shoes take up the bulk amount of your space

3)      When you buy a new pair of shoes it makes you happy...instantly

4)      You plan your outfit around your shoes

5)      Seeing “Buy one get one free” = LIFE MADE

6)      You always NEED another pair of shoes. It’s never just a want.

7)      You deny that you’re addicted to shoes.

Said yes to one or all of the above? Yup, that’s me and, probably you too.

I am a proud shoe owner of 55 pairs of shoes. Here are some of my favourites:

1)      My latest buy from Cotton On, My Timberland look a-likes. Being a student and especially a fashion student I like to buy inexpensive clothing and shoes so that when it goes out of season I don’t feel bad about not wearing it anymore. Instead of paying the usual amount for a pair of Timberland boots, which range between R1200 – R2000, I found these boots for a steal marked at R399.

2)      My little bow gum boots. Apparently I have a knack for bargain buying according to my husband. I found these adorable shoes in Lenasia (who would have thought), for just R170. These are my favourite shoes at the moment.
I bought this Tee on a seventy percent off sale from TopShop for R100 and the Tulle skirt I’m wearing was sewn by my Gran.
 


3)       My FOOD shoes. When I was in Bangkok over the December holidays I came across a mall called Terminal 21. Each floor is made to look and feel like the streets of a major city; one floor is themed like the streets of London and another like the streets of Istanbul. The floor I found these shoes on is themed like the streets of Tokyo, which had more fashion forward and unusual pieces.  It’s safe to say that out of all the places I’ve been to this was the “Disneyland” of shopping malls.

4)      My Oxford look-a-likes. You’ll never guess where these vintage looking shoes are from, a little place called… China town!
 
5)      Why have only one pair of oxford look a-likes when you can have another? This yellow pair was from none other than Mr. Price.

6)      An Oxford variation? For those of you who don’t know, my father is a formal menswear supplier for his own company, Signoir Cravette. His job entails sourcing new goods from places like Turkey, Hong Kong, Korea and China and then importing it to South Africa. On the odd occasion I convince him to get me a pair of shoes to add into my collection. This was an unusual pair that he brought me from Turkey.

7)      My airhostess shoes. These shoes remind me of the kind of shoes the airhostesses on the Emirates flights wear. I occasionally like shoes that other people wouldn’t even dare glancing at. Most of my friends know this and tease me about it, these shoes fall into this category.
 
 
8)      My peep toe lace ups. I found these shoes in 2008 and they’re still going strong, once more they are from China Town. Shoes with laces will take you places!
 

 

 




9)      My pointy black shoes. These shoes are from a store called CPS CHAPS in Thailand. I bought them for fifty percent off the original price.
 

10)  My tan pumps. I bought these shoes in Dubai in 2010 and they are still a staple in my closet.

 
 
"Yes, I'm a shoe addict.
No, I don't need help."


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment