Monday, March 23, 2015

SA Fashion Week

Whenever I walk into the Crowne Plaza for Fashion Week I feel like I'm home.This year was one of my favourite SA Fashion Weeks because both the designers and event organisers of Fashion Week seem to have gone the extra mile.
 
One of the main sponsors of Fashion Week, Rimmel, set up their London telephone booth styled make up stands and nail stations where you could get your nails and make up done. Edgars had a photo station for full length outfit photos as well as a mani cam to show off your manicure! These fashion related activities really added to the Fashion Week experience.
 
 
 
I was fortunate enough to experience most of the shows at SAFW, however, with two shows in particular really standing out for me. The first show being 'Wake' - which saw models with the bold print on print walked onto the runway. Not often do I find myself liking almost every piece in one collection with this show proving a rare exception. Print on print is not usually done in a classy manner, however this designer showed how to do it best.
 
 
My next favourite show was the Marvel inspired collections. Five designers were tasked with the challenge of creating superhero inspired garments for this show, in wake of the new Marvel Avengers movie that will be coming to cinemas soon. I was privileged to speak to one of the designers after the show who designed the collection called "zero," he said that working with Fashion Week and Disney was an exciting challenge as well as enjoyable. His work can be found in Egality in Parkhurst along with fashion editor, Chusuwannapha's collection too. 
 
The media got invited to speak to the Marvel designers inside the media room which was decorated brightly with Marvel comic wallpaper. The press hurried inside excitedly to receive a goodie bag with an Avengers shirt inside while indulging in treats laid out on the table in the form of a candy bar, not to forget the Avengers decorated cupcakes!
 
My looks for fashion week this year were mostly proudly South African:
 
Day 1:
I wore a jumpsuit from The Space designed by Lee Schubert with a vintage blazer from Asseblief.
 
Day 2:
This amazing maxi top was from a new start up designer that I found in the Sies!Isabelle studio in midrand. The name of the brand is ''Her Ritual''.
 
 
Chusuwannapha and I.
 
Day 3:
The dress is from The Space designed by Pengelly. I have become obsessed with choker style necklaces with the featured piece from Lovisa.
 
 
Day 4:
Last but not least I found this amazing designer piece by Suzaan Heyns at a bargain at the designer sample sale that happened in Melrose Arch a few weeks back. The dress retails at R1200 but for a limited period only sale I got it for R197.
 
 
 
Overall fashion week was an absolute blast. Thank you to Rimmel and SA Fashion Week for the hospitality and the amazing goodie bags! I cant wait to see the SA Talent on show later this year.
 
All the gifts from the media bag and complimentary tickets given to me by SAFW.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment